Saturday, December 4, 2010

The fate of the sacred

I am not one to think much on religion for I have always found it distasteful. Don't mistake my disdain for religiosity as a disdain of the metaphysical. History is not kind to organized religion of any kind, mostly because by its very nature of being organized causes it to force the will of man on the metaphysical and transcendental, things the will of man have not affect upon. I have recently re-watched "The Kingdom of Heaven" and I have been reminded of the power of the individual not the group. I have also made note of the fate of things we call sacred and blessed.

Since the advent of religion all other peoples and beliefs are heretics. Since religious sites are of great importance to the culture who believes it makes them perfect targets. It also makes them sacred to those people and great targets for their enemies. For that reason I have witnessed that the holy becomes sacred and the sacred is doomed. Jerusalem is a great example for it is the center of many religious peoples and is a city of many masters and none. It has been sacked, beaten, conquered, and pillaged from at least Rome up to the modern age.

So I ask myself, what is this thing we call religion? It is one of the many truly undefinable and unknowable things. On earth it is most often the tool of bad men trying to gain dominance and supremacy, but that is more what man is then what religion is. I have always had the fault of looking to the big picture and I am often told that religion for the individual is a powerful motivator and an aid in understanding oneself. Since I am blessed and damned with the view of the big picture I still cannot see a value or even condone the organization of belief into a religion. The universal and the absolute have a way of eluding humans so we create falsities to make up for lack of knowledge.

As the first step to creating a united world I see the need, not for religious tolerance, but the abandonment of religious unity and the embracing of the individual religiosity. Faith without tenants will be the key to making one people out of many. The reason I suggest this is because I feel it is unrealistic and unfair to demand all people to live without faith and belief of this kind. My request is more reasonable, though not necessarily more attainable. If our world is to have a chance against our own stupidity, we must first become one people and taking on this new form of religiosity would be one step in fostering this unity.

No comments:

Post a Comment