Saturday, December 25, 2010

The end is near

Normally saying "the end is near" is a dire warming of imminent destruction, but today it is simply a statement saying a new year begins soon. What does that mean for Canada and Canadians? Well I am sure it means many bad things to come, but even I feel that this may not be the best time of year to address those worries and fears. Instead let us look at some of the things that give us hope.

First I would like to address my fellow bloggers, who wish to voice their opinion, views, and understanding with other individuals, hoping to inspire people to take an interest in their nation. You are the grunts, the ground troops in a constant struggle for freedom of speech and thought. For all your efforts I salute you and I hope that you maintain your vigor and interest in providing perspectives from all corners of the political spectrum.

Next I would like to salute the public service, especially those who have put their neck on the chopping block, so to speak, in order to serve and protect the public. It is a tragedy that hired or appointed individuals must stand up and protect the public from the body they elected to represent them, but i am glad someone is doing that thankless job. May many take heart from your example and stand up for their belief and principles, for what they feel strongly is write and just.

My next thanks goes out to Wikileaks and all other agencies who expose what is hidden in the interest of open governance. This would serve as a reminder to Mr. Harper that you can preach what ever you want, but open government will only exist when all information is available to the public.

I could go on, but I would rather see you add people or organizations that you feel deserve recognition for the creation of hope in the past year and will hopefully continue this trend in the new year.

Merry Festivous to all and to all a wonderful holiday season.

3 comments:

  1. Susan Riley wrote a good column on the public service today. My daughter went around last night and today with thank you packages for public servants who work through the holidays - hospital workers, cops, firefighters. They were truthfully moved to tears at the recognition.

    I'll add people like Stacy Bonds and Mr. Nobody who stand up for their own rights and in this way, all rights.

    In particular, I'd like to thank Senator Romeo Dallaire for his tireless fight against genocide and his fight against the use and abuse of child soldiers.

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh! Season's greetings to you as well!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It wad a very good piece and I am very happy that your daughter took that initiative.

    ReplyDelete