Wednesday, January 19, 2011

A new path

Well hello all

Apparently my hiatus did not last to long, though I am still not my old self. I have been considering a career change into something very different then what I am doing at this momemt. As some may know I am currently an educator and a self styled academic, but the more I see into these profession the less attractive they become to me. I am still a young man who will no doubt start a family while doing many other things, for I do not see myself settling into the career as a teacher. There are many things about the field of education I do not like, but mostly I do not feel like a very effective teacher. I am new so I plan on giving it another year or two, but in the end, if I still feel like I am not developing, or that I am not providing a level of education that I deem to be of good quality then I will bow out. I know many educators who lack the skills to be effective teachers that will remain within the profession because the benefits and pay are good. They may even be comfortable with their lot in life, but I tell you, the idea of damaging even a small number of the youth of a generation makes me feel obligated to leave if I don't improve.

That being said I have been considering what kind of profession I would like to enter as a new career if that path proves to be an ideal one. I always thought I would go into academics, but as time goes by I am not sure why I would want to! I would rather be an independent writer then a part-time lecturer or a tenured beggar, looking for government and corporate scraps. I wanted to get into politics, but with the state of political discourse and political life in Canada, I am not sure what I could accomplish or even if I want to try to "save" (what I would consider saving) a population that seems bent on its own destruction (democratically). So I asked myself, what is it then that I want to do.

Well I started making a list of criteria:
I want to be responsible for making something
I want to use my logical reasoning skills
I want to an intellectually challenging profession
I wouldn't mind some pbysical requirement to my new career
I would like to work in a team environment
I would like the opportunity to lead projects

Now many jobs fit these criteria, but I seem to have fixated on an engineering focus. Sure there are a lot of subsects of engineering and sure my father would gain the opportunity to say I TOLD YOU SO, but who cares. In the end I want to do something that makes me happy and provides accomplishment. I would still love to make it as a writer, and I am currently writing a few texts, but everyone needs something beyond a dream. Oh well, lots to consider, and no time to really do any of it, god I love teaching!

No comments:

Post a Comment